There are many similar benefits for being a non-accredited member or professionally accredited with CIfA, these are listed below.
Benefits for accredited professionals (PCIfA, ACIfA, MCIfA)
- Being an accredited professional of CIfA gives you a competitive advantage by demonstrating that you adhere to the highest professional standards, by providing opportunities for networking with other professional archaeologists and for developing your career or business. Read our article why should you become accredited if you work for a Registered Organisation? (PDF)
- Accreditation is increasingly used by employers in recruitment and grading of staff and in determining rates of pay.
- Advocacy is one of our major roles and through this work we influence policy and decision makers as the authoritative and effective voice for archaeologists. This raises the profile of archaeology and drives recognition of your status to achieve professional parity.
- You have the opportunity to be at the heart of developing your profession by getting involved and putting yourself forward for election to CIfA Board of Directors or Advisory Council, voting at the AGM or volunteering on a committee.
- You can use your post nominal (PCIfA, ACIfA or MCIfA) to demonstrate your level of competence and professional accreditation.
- You can use your post nominal as formal recognition of a professional qualification by the construction sector to apply for a Professionally Qualified Person card with CSCS.
- You can be listed in the CIfA annual Yearbook and Directory, that is widely distributed and online
Benefits for all members
- Our regular eBulletin, providing updates on CIfA's work and your profession.
- The Jobs Information Service and Training weekly bulletin to help you develop your career or recruit staff and the e-newsletter, Heritage Update.
- The opportunity to join any of our Area and Special Interest groups and discounted entry to events run by them.
- The opportunity to be at the heart of developing your profession by getting involved and volunteering on one of our committees.
- The Archaeologist magazine (3 times a year) full of expert opinions on interesting topics (online version for Students).
- The Annual Yearbook and Directory hard copy and link to the online directory.
- Access to professional practice papers on specialist professional topics, standards and guidance, and good practice (Great for CPD).
- Supported professional development aims through CPD, training and a 30% discount on our annual CIfA conference, the premier archaeological conference in the UK.
- A discounted rate for the peer reviewed journal The Historic Environment, Policy and Practice.
Other discounts and benefits
- Claim tax relief (PDF) on your subscription if you are a UK tax payer as well. You will find us under 'A' on the HM Revenue & Customs approved list.
- Free access to the Society of Antiquarians of London library.
- Various discounts from Towergate Insurance.
- Access to an arbitration scheme in conjunction with the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
- 15% discount at Cotswold Outdoor.
- The option to include a 20 word profile in the advertising section of the CIfA Yearbook and Directory for a discounted rate of £75.